Craig Crotteau applies more than 35 years of experience with defense, environmental and natural resource issues, providing insight to decision-makers, and helping clients develop and implement their strategic initiatives. He has crafted legislative solutions and addressed legal matters involving Federal contracts, including their formation, administration, and claims resolution.
After completing a military career, for seven years Craig was a corporate vice president at a Fortune 1000 engineering firm. He played a key role as the corporation’s Washington, DC advocate, as the firm doubled its revenue to over $1.3 billion. While focused on the Department of Defense, he has significant experience with the Department of Energy and the Environmental Protection Agency. Craig assisted ports and private developers with infrastructure matter involving the Army Corps of Engineers’ Civil Works program. As a career military officer, Craig led combat engineer units in Europe and crafted Army budgets in the Pentagon.
He practiced as a trial attorney with the Army Corps of Engineers in Washington, DC and Germany, specializing in architect-engineer and construction litigation. As a lieutenant colonel and professional engineer at Corps headquarters, he managed $1.2 billion in hazardous waste remediation at hundreds of DOD, BRAC and EPA Superfund sites nationwide.
- George Washington University, J.D., 1987
- University of Denver, M.B.A, 1978
- Gonzaga University, B.S., 1976
Bar and Court Admissions
- District of Columbia Bar
- Pennsylvania State Bar
- Oregon State Bar
- Idaho State Bar
- Washington State Bar
- U.S. Patent Office Bar
- Professional Engineer, Virginia
- Pacific Northwest Waterways Association, Sustaining Member Firm Representative (2007-Current)
- Pacific Northwest Defense Coalition, Member Advocacy Committee (2014-Current)
- Environmental Business Action Coalition, Board of Directors (June 1998 – February 2002)
- Society of American Military Engineers, Army Appointed National Director (March 1987-April 89)
- Army Engineer Association
- Business Executives for National Security
- American Bar Association
- Army Engineer Regiment Silver De Fleury Medal
- Army Legion of Merit
- Airborne Parachutist Badge
Practice & Expertise
- Congressional and Legislative Advocacy
- Federal Agency Programs (DOD, Energy, Army Corps Civil Works, Transportation)
- Authorizations & Appropriations
- Contract Capture & Administration
- Risk & Crisis Management
- Negotiated with Congressional and Agency stakeholders, a legislative solution that saved over $2.5 billion in client contract backlog, at risk due to Senate objections to IDIQ contracts vital to Army Corps of Engineer and Navy Facility Engineering Command environmental programs.
- Crafted authorization language that removed deed restrictions from a former DOE property, avoiding litigation and the potential Federal seizure of over $100 million in client infrastructure investment.
- Provided Congressional legislative strategy for corporate expansion into housing privatization, civil works, and facility management markets, generating over $2 billion in backlog for the firm. Served as a key member of numerous hundred-million dollar plus, Federal contract capture teams.
- Gained multiple multi-million dollar appropriations in DOD R&D and procurement programs for manufacturing clients seeking to penetrate the Federal market.
- Member of corporate acquisition planning and implementation team, advising the firm on the government relations aspects of an acquisition program that grew the firm from $500 million to $1.3 billion over six years.
- Legal counsel on GAO and Agency bid protests and ASBCA claim cases, representing the Army Corps of Engineers over a five year period. Counsel for Agency special access and IT programs.
- Planned and led the unprecedented Superfund cleanup of former WWI chemical weapons site in Washington DC.