Natalie Thingelstad has 15 years of experience helping clients effectively and efficiently resolve complex legal problems and managing difficult cases involving the U.S. and other governments, both domestically and in some of the most challenging operating environments in the world.
Natalie Thingelstad has extensive experience providing advice to clients on suspension and debarment matters, developing robust internal control and compliance programs, and risk management. She has served in senior compliance roles both within the U.S. Government and in private industry in which she gained an expertise in the development of effective risk management and compliance programs, while also promoting the client’s business interests.
Natalie has been the lead attorney in several of the largest suspension and debarment cases facing the international development sector, has served as lead investigator in scores of internal investigations, has worked extensively with the Department of Justice and Offices of the Inspector General, and has successfully represented clients in “bet the company” matters.
- Lead Agency counsel for one of the largest False Claims Act settlements in the development industry that resulted in a $60+ million settlement for the U.S. Government, criminal prosecution of former executives, and the imposition — and successful completion of — a three year Administrative Agreement.
- Lead Agency counsel in what is believed to be the most significant USAID suspension and False Claims Act case ever brought, followed by a complex transaction to novate 1,000+ programs and transfer approximately 3,000 employees to an acquirer.
- Extensive coordination with the Office of Inspector General and the Department of Justice in a number of significant False Claims Act cases.
- Senior Executive responsible for the successful implementation of an organization-wide risk management program and extensive overhaul of company’s compliance systems.
Practice & Expertise
- Suspension & Debarment
- Compliance Programs
- Risk Management
- Audits & Claims
- Crisis Management
Recognition & Affiliations
- New York State Bar
- California State Bar
- Certified Compliance and Ethics Professional
- American Bar Association, Public Contract Law Section
*not admitted in the District of Columbia; her practice is under the supervision of a D.C. Bar member.